Thursday, October 22, 2015

DEMOCRACY (PART 4) ON HUMAN RIGHTS GENDER EQUALITY AND RULE OF LAW

We hear of so many complaints about how our country is very slowly advancing in the areas of human rights, gender equality and the rule of law.

We know that our clamor for inclusive economic growth is very valid given the reality that each day we see homeless people with young children sleeping under bridges or chasing cars begging or selling different stuff. These are forms of human rights violations.

It pains us to see that despite the huge resources of our government so many people continue to suffer especially in times of calamities.

While there are lots of improvements in the area of weather forecasting and preemptive  evacuations many precious lives are still lost due to typhoons and floods. Much more are needed to be done to improve on this area of concern.

We hear of so many people who express disgust and swear to leave our beloved country if this or that candidate wins the presidency.  Sadly, many of them are misinformed and are purely relying on what people from the media are dishing out which are not necessarily true or accurate.

For advocates like me who focus on the transformation of the justice system in the Philippines, which is taking place very slowly, hardly can we see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thus, it is very vital to check at what is happening to the rest of the world if only to prick ourselves as we lose patience in achieving our desired transformation and development.

My  latest exposure trip outside the country this year, made me realize that we really have so much to thank God for, despite the slow progress and development taking place here in our country.

 Last August until mid October this year, I travelled to about 19 countries, 18 of which are in Europe covered by SCHENGEN visa. We covered a little more than 40 cities.  I talked with a lot of knowledgeable people coming from various backgrounds and professions.

In Berlin, now the capital city of Germany, I have readily noticed the whale of difference of how things are now than what it was twenty seven years ago.

In 1988, while the East and West Germany were still divided I had the opportunity to get inside East Berlin via the train to observe the situation of women and children in the other side of the wall that divided the city.

Twenty seven years ago, I stayed in West Berlin for about a week. Before Berlin,  I stayed in Bonn, the previous capital of Germany and the other nearby places of Dusseldorf and Cologne for about four weeks. Those are all in connection with the short course I  took on Social Development, Law and Justice with focus on women and children.

The one day exposure trip  I had in East Berlin in 1988 will forever be etched in my mind. I observed people's behaviors and movements. I observed different folks, young and old, male and female, and nobody is smiling. They look at us with empty gaze. Many are walking like zombies and the atmosphere is very gloomy. Very sad.

Our guide pointed to a spot in East Berlin where Adolf Hitler purportedly committed suicide. It was good that I had an instant "polaroid" camera with me at that time and I was able to pose for a picture at the Brandenburg gate in the Eastern side of Berlin.

When I heard the unification of Germany in 1989 and the removal of the wall that separate them I feel joyful. I prayed that the situation of the women and children in the east side of Berlin will improve and they can be as dynamic and happy as the women and children at the west side of Berlin. Those women and children I saw in West Berlin, though victims of different forms of abuses are smiling and are able to talk with us freely. 

When I again set foot in the eastern Section of Berlin and  had my picture taken last month, in the same spot at the Brandenburg gate, I find that truly meaningful.

 It was a momentous occasion for me. I told my companions that now all the people I see, young and old, male and female especially the children are happy. Everyone is smiling.

That opened up an opportunity for all of us to talk about the importance of Democracy.

As a Senior citizen, I find it very vital to share with young Filipinos the condition of our country under the Martial Law years.

 Indeed, given the realities of Philippine politics there can be lots of twists and turns that can mislead our young people who might not be able to value the restored democracy in our country  by way of People Power bloodless revolution in 1986.

 Given so much freedom nowadays and the democracy that we enjoy it seems hard for those in their thirties and younger to believe the sufferings of many under a dictatorship for almost twenty years.

Both of my children Gemma and Ethel who are now in their early thirties  are very much aware of the Filipino people's situation under the martial law years. My husband, Wendel and I, deliberately talk to them about the past and the lessons they need to understand about our beloved country.

Our children are well informed of the importance of enjoying their rights as citizens under the Bill of Rights of the Philippine Constitution. They know that they are duty bound to help ensure that the dark days of martial  law will never happen again in our country. That it is always important to respect and uphold the rule of law.

It is sad that so many Filipinos would rather have somebody rule the Philippines with "iron hands" to abate criminalities. To put a stop to drug trafficking.  To stop kidnapping and murders and the likes. They want the short-cut way of solving problems not in accordance with law.

Many Filipinos do not see the danger of a one person rule. They do not see how an absolute power by one person can be abused or misused.

Even though our democratic system is not perfect and that we still continue to suffer due to the intertwining culture of corruption, patriarchy and impunity, we are not a hopeless case.

Democracy is the better  way go. The 3 great branches of the government must be able to function effectively and efficiently in order for the proper checks and balances to take place.

What is vital is for us to be able to counter and eradicate the prevailing intertwining culture of corruption, patriarchy and impunity involving all the branches of our government.

We need to advance the culture of honesty, uprightness, simple but joyful living, truth, love, equality, freedom justice and peace.

We can do all these under a Democracy.

I shall further discuss this topic on democracy  next month.

Apostle Paul in the book of Philippians Chapter 4 verses 12 to 13 says:

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

 Dory Cruz Avisado
10-22-15 




  


































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment